The mission of Heartland Family Service is to strengthen individuals, families, and communities through advocacy, education, counseling, and support services.
Strong Communities, So Everyone Can.
Founded in Omaha in 1875, Heartland Family Service connected with nearly 153,000 individuals and families through direct services, advocacy, education, and outreach last year, from 20 locations in east central Nebraska and southwest Iowa. Our services provide critical human services to the individuals and families who ultimately shape the future of our community in the following program focus areas: Housing, Safety, & Community Well-Being, and Counseling & Prevention
Heartland Family Service at a Glance
• Founded in 1875
• Our profession is Social Work–professional, compassionate, systems-oriented helping services
• We are a private agency, not a government agency
• Non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization
• Incorporated in 1952
• Non-sectarian, not affiliated with a religious organization
• Operates from 20 safe, comfortable locations in east central Nebraska and southwest Iowa
• Achieves our mission through the efforts of 464 staff, 132 volunteers, and 671 generous individual donors, family foundations, and key funders
• A reputation for quality programs, conscientious management, and excellent customer service
• Accredited by the Council on Accreditation since 1984
• Learn about our Culture of Inclusion
• Client Rights Brochure
• 2022: Best Counseling Clinic, Best of the Big O!
• 2021: Best Counseling Clinic, Best of the Big O!
• 2020: HRAM IDEAL award for Diversity and Inclusion, Human Resource Association of the Midlands (HRAM)
• 2020: Best Counseling Service, Sarpy County People’s Choice Awards
• 2020: John Jeanetta, Extraordinary Leader Award, BIG Event Awards, metroMAGAZINE
• 2020: “Carnival of Love” Gala, Best Event Over 500 Attendees, BIG Event Awards, metroMAGAZINE
• 2019: Integrity Award, Large Charity Category, Better Business Bureau
• 2019: Best Counseling Clinic, Best of the Big O!
• 2018: Best Counseling Clinic, Best of the Big O!
• 2018: Best Counseling Service, Sarpy County People’s Choice Awards
2022 HFS Annual Report
2021 HFS 990T Form
Our Donor Bill of Rights