How do I attend one of your fundraising events?
If you have any questions about our fundraising events, please contact (402) 552-7426 or

Tell me how to donate, give an in-kind gift(s), or find your wish lists?
To donate, visit:
To give an in-kind gift(s) visit our Wish Lists or contact our Community Relations Coordinator at (402) 552-7418 or

How do I volunteer?
Learn about our Volunteer Opportunities
To get started, please fill out our online Volunteer Application
For more information on how to volunteer, please contact our Community Relations Coordinator at (402) 552-7418 or

How is Heartland Family Service funded?
Donations, personal and private and state, local and federal grant.
If you would like to more information on how we are funded, please contact our Chief Development Officer at (402) 552-7443 or


What type of non-profit is Heartland Family Service?
The mission of Heartland Family Service is to strengthen individuals and families in our community through education, counseling, and support services.

  • Founded in Omaha in 1875 
  • Non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization
  • A private agency, not a government agency
  • Non-sectarian, not affiliated with a religious organization
  • Accredited by the Council on Accreditation since 1984
  • Our profession is Social Work-professional, compassionate, systems-oriented helping services
  • Connected with nearly 153,000 individuals and families through direct services, education, and outreach in 2022.
  • Operates from 19 safe, comfortable locations in east central Nebraska and southwest Iowa
  • Achieves the mission through the efforts of 464 staff; 132 volunteers, and 851 generous individual donors, family foundations, and key funders.
  • A reputation for quality programs, conscientious management, and excellent customer service

Where are you located and how do I get there?
For all of the Heartland Family Service Offices, please visit our Locations page
Omaha Metro bus route
Council Bluffs bus route

How do I serve on your board/task force/committee?
To learn about the available Heartland Family Service board, taskforce, and committee opportunities, contact:

How do I find a job at HFS?
To view our current job openings/internships, please visit our Career Portal and/or Internship Portal.


What services do you offer in Council Bluffs/Iowa and Omaha/Nebraska?
Visit our Locations Page to see our current programs and services offered at our various locations.

Who is eligible for your services and programs?
To find the eligibility of each of our programs, visit the each program webpage. 

How do I make an appointment?
Email or call:
Central Administrative Office, Omaha, Nebraska (402) 552-7400
H. Lee Gendler Office, Council Bluffs, Iowa (712) 435-5350

What forms will I need to fill out?
The forms needed vary depending on the program or services being provided. The program contact will review the forms with during your first appointment.

How much are your services?
Please contact us at (402) 552-7400 or

How do I pay for your services?
Please contact us at (402) 552-7400 or

Does Heartland Family Service offer free counseling?
If you have health insurance, your insurance company will be billed for the counseling services you received in at Heartland Family Service. Depending on your health insurance coverage, some or the entire fee may be covered.

If you do not have health insurance, you may qualify for a reduced rate on our sliding fee scale. This is determined when you go through our intake process.

Do we offer couples/family counseling?
Yes, we offer a variety types of counseling, including couples and families.

What can I do to get my relative/friend into treatment?
If you are concerned about a friend or loved one, contact us at (402) 552-7400 or

How do I get help if I’m homeless?
Our Housing, Safety, & Financial Stability programs services are located at our Center Mall Office | 1941 S 42nd Street, Suite 385, Omaha, NE 68105 | PH: (402) 934-8810. Hours of Operation | Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 5 pm.

How do I get help if I’m in a Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault situation?
If you are in an emergency situation and in need of immediate assistance, please call 911

Safe Haven in Sarpy County, Nebraska. 24/7 National Crisis Line: 800-523-3666 

Contact our Heartland Homes program at (712) 435-5360

Does Heartland Family Service offer Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault prevention groups?
Click to view our Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault prevention groups

What classes do you offer?
To see our current classes, visit our Calendar.

Do you have drop-in child care options?
Heartland Family Service does not offer drop-in child care. To find a licensed child care profiler in Nebraska, visit the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. To find a licensed child care profiler in Iowa, visit the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services

Can I bring my children with me to my appointment/evaluation?
Heartland Family Service does not provide childcare. For your child’s safety, it is best to find childcare for your child, before your appointment/evaluation. Some evaluations can take up to two hours. Older children (over the age of 10) can wait in our lobby.

Do you help with getting an ID/License?
Heartland Family Service does not have a service to help you acquire your identification card or license. These local organizations can help you:
Together | 812 S. 24th Street, Omaha, NE 68108 | (402) 345-8047
YES Street Outreach Center | 2601 Harney St. Omaha, NE 68131 | (402) 502-1636
Douglas County Health Department | 1819 Farnam St. Omaha, NE 68102 | (402) 444-7204

Do you help with legal aid or have attorneys?
We do not offer legal services. To find help with your legal needs, please contact one of these local resources.
Concord Mediatio | 4225 N 90th Street | Omaha, NE 68134 402-345-1131
Creighton University – Milton R. Abrahams Legal Clinic | 2500 California Plaza | Omaha, NE 68131 402-280-3068
Legal Aid of Nebraska209 S 19th Street Suite 200, Omaha, NE 68102 | 402-348-1069
Nebraska State Bar Association | 800-742-3005


If you are in an emergency situation and in need of immediate assistance, please call 911.

  • Nebraska Family Helpline | 1-888-866-8660 | Hearing and speech-impaired callers with TTY equipment can call 1-888-556-5117
  •| Call 1-855-581-8111| Text 1-855-895-8298 | Chat Online
  • National Suicide Prevention | 24/7 Three-digit dialing number – Call or text: 988
  • Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault | 24/7 Crisis Line | (800) 523-3666
  • 24/7 Problem Gambling Crisis Line | (866)-322-1407
  • Narcotics Anonymous (NA) | Nebraska Meetings | Iowa Meetings
  • Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) | Nebraska Meetings NE: 1-800-226-3632 | Iowa meetings
  • National Human Trafficking Resource Center/Polaris Project | 24/7 Hotline: Call (888) 373-7888 | Text “BeFree” to 233733

Local Sexual Exploitation & Trafficking Shelters/Resources

  • The Shelter | (402) 558-5700
  • Phoenix House, Council Bluffs |  (712) 256-2059
  • Sex Trafficking Prevention 24/7 Shelter Lines | (402) 597-1009 | Call or Text (402) 672-8608